HISTORY OF T-6G HB-RCN

                                       

 UNITED STATES ARMY AIR FORCE

T-6 Texan s/n 42-44736, Manufacturer Serial Number (MSN) 88-15220 was built by North American Aviation factory in Grand Prairie Dallas, Texas, as a AT-6D model (Advanced Trainer).

Accepted on November 18th, 1943.

Available on December 8th, 1943.

 

It was delivered to the United States Army Air Force on December 8th,1943 and ferried to Luke AAF. It left Dallas on December 11th to Midland AAF, December 13th to Biggs AAF at El Paso and arrived at Luke AAF near Phoenix a day later, the 14th.

 

The first assignment was to 3028th Army Airfield Base Unit (Advanced Single Engine Pilot School [ASEPS], AAF Flying Training Command [AAFFTC]) at Luke AAF, Arizona.

 

In February 1946 it was transferred to 4168th Army Air Force Base Unit, AAFBU, (Air Materiel Command), South Plains AAF, (Lubbock Municipal Airfield), Texas, disposed as surplus.

 

In May 1947 it was transferred to San Antonio Air Material Area (SAAMA), Kelly AAF, located in San Antonio, Texas, disposed as surplus.  

 

In June 1948 Redesignated as T-6D.

 

In August 1952 it was transferred to North American Aviation in Fresno, California.

 

In June 1952, the USAF ordered a final batch of 110 T-6G, designated NA-197.

 

In March 1953, it was remanufactured by North American Aviation as

T-6G model, s/n 52-8231, MSN 197-035. The plant, which employed about 400 people, manufactured and repaired parts for the T-6/SNJ.

IN-04__90378_edited_edited_edited.png

 

 

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE

AIR NATIONAL GUARD NEW-MEXICO

It was accepted March 20th,1953 and delivered to the US Air Force on March 27th, 1953.

 

On March 27th, 1953, it was assigned to the 188th Fighter Interceptor Squadron “The Tacos”, New-Mexico National Guard, Kirkland AFB, New-Mexico (3 Texans served in that unit).

It arrived in Kirkland on April 5th, 1953.

The 188th was equipped with 25 F-51Ds Mustang.

 

In July 1956, it was dropped from inventory by transfer to mutual defense assistance program to the French Air Force.

52-8231 at Kirkland AFB, New-Mexico.

(Photo I USAF)

 “The Tacos”

 

           

 

FRENCH AIR FORCE

The airplane was delivered by US Navy Escort Carrier to Pauillac (north of Bordeaux), France late 1956.

 

There are two tags riveted on the left side of the fuselage.

The first indicates the date of the assembly, January 4th, 1957, in Mérignac near Bordeaux

(AICA BX, Atelier Industriel de l’Aéronautique de Bordeaux).

IMG_0412_edited_edited.png

The plane was ferried to Casablanca, Morocco.

 

The second tag indicates that it went through an Inspection (IRAN) on April 19th, 1957 (AIA-CASA, Atelier Industriel de l’Aéronautique de Casablanca) before entry into service with

s/n 28231.

IMG_0413_edited_edited_edited.png

T-6G, s/n 28231 was transferred to the French Air force, on April 30th, 1957.

On April 30th, 1957, it was transferred to:                                     

EAA 615, Entrepôt de l’Armée de l’Air, until May 15th, 1957.

Air Base: BA155 Casablanca, Morocco.

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

From May 15th, 1957, it was transferred to:

AEAA 1/615, Annexe de l’entrepôt de l’Armée de l’Air, until May 28th, 1957.

Air Base: BA155 Casablanca, Morocco.

Weapon system modifications for counter insurgency.

 

From May 28th, 1957, it was transferred to:

EALA 16/72, Escadrille d’Aviation Légère d’Appui, until June 19th, 1957.

Air base: BA212 Biskra, Algeria.

Registration Mark : F-UJC.

Parrainage : 11ème Escadre de Chasse.

 

    EALA 16/72  

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

From June 19th, 1957, it was transferred to:

EALA 3/72, Escadrille d’Aviation Légère d’Appui, until July 1st, 1957.

Air Base: BA153 Oujda, Algeria.

Parrainage : 10ème Escadre de Chasse.

 

                                                       

EALA 3/72 “La Biquette”

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

From July 1st, 1957, it was transferred to:

EALA 21/72, Escadrille d’Aviation Légère d’Appui, until July 20th, 1959.

Air Base: BA Djelfa, Algeria.

Parrainage : 11ème Escadre de Chasse.

EALA 21/72

CD1CD85A-8684-4545-8E96-D596B4F72DCE_edi

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

From July 20th, 1959, it was transferred to:

ARAA 624, Atelier de réparation (ou de révisions) de l’Armée de l’Air, for IRAN (Inspection and Repair if Necessary), until September 30th, 1959.

Air Base : BA278 Ambérieu, France. (From 1945 until 1965, 456 T6 were overhauled).

 

 

From September 30th, 1959, it was transferred to:

AAMR 11/661, Atelier Air et Magasin Régional, until October 13th, 1959.

Air Base: BA140 Blida, Algeria.

 

 

From October 13th,1959, it was transferred to:

EALA 12/72, Escadrille d’Aviation Légère d’Appui, until December 1st, 1959.

Air Base: BA213 Bône, Algeria.

Parrainage: 9ème Escadre de Chasse.

New Registration Mark: F-UJV.

 

                                                       

 EALA 12/72 “Le Moustique”

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

From December 1st,1959, it was transferred to:

EALA 3/9, Escadron d’Aviation Légère d’Appui, until October 8th, 1960.

Air Bases: BA Telergma Bône, Algeria.

April 1st, 1960, the registration mark was modified to

F-UJVA.

                                                           

EALA 3/9 “Numidie”

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

From October 8th, 1960, it was transferred to:                          

AAMR 11/661, Atelier de maintenance et de réparation until November 5th, 1960.

Air Base: BA140 Blida, Algeria.

 

From November 5th, 1960, it was transferred to:

EIALAA 1/320, Escadrille d’Instruction de l’Aviation Légère de l’Armée de l’Air until February 22nd, 1962.

Air Base: BA140 Blida, Algeria.

New Registration Mark: F-SFK with number “1”, on June 12th, 1962.

 

                                                               

EIALAA 1/320

5070D732-E1C3-43CE-BE65-1F91EF703423_edi

(Service Historique de la Défense, ministère des Armées)

Texan Armee de l'air_armed copy.jpeg

During the Algerian war, the airplane was equipped with rocket launchers, bomb racks and machine guns. During its restoration, late 90s, bomb racks were removed from the wings.

Squadron Sister T6, s/n 114385 N°6, from EIALAA 1/320

   (Photo credit: André Didion via Alain Crosnier)

(http://www.traditions-air.fr)

From May 1957 until November 1960, T-6 2831 was primarily engaged in counter insurgency missions during the Algerian War.

 

From November 1960 until February 1962, it was assigned as a ground attack trainer with the EIALAA 1/320.

               

From February 22nd, 1962, it was transferred for storage until July 29th, 1965.

 

On May 17th, 1965, it was “Cédé aux Domaines”.

 

On July 29th, 1965, the airplane was dropped from inventory.

 

Little is known after it was decommissioned. We have one photo where it is sitting in a junkyard in Étampes, during the 70s.

Étampes, March 1976

 (Photographer: Unknown)

You still can see some interesting marking on the fuselage. The number “1” and the squadron logo on the rear fuselage, a gorilla and tail number 8231.

On the left, you can see the T6 with tail number 114, probably the 114385 from the picture above.

Plate riveted in the left side of the front cockpit

Manufacturers Model: T-6-G-1-NF

Customers Model: T-6-G-1-NF

Manufacturers Serial No: 197-035

Customers Serial No: 52-8231

Type Certificate:         -               

Contract No: AF-20914

Engine Type: R-1340-AN-1          

Accepted: (MARCH 20TH,1953)