THE PILOT MAKER
History of the T-6G
T-6 Texan HB-RCN, s/n 42-44736, Manufacturer Serial Number (MSN) 88-15220, was built in the North American Aviation Dallas Texas plant as a AT-6D model and delivered to the USAAF on december 8th 1943.
To the 3038th AAF Base Unit (Pilot School Air Training Command, Advanced Single Engine)
Luke AAF, Phoenix AZ.
To the 4168th AAFBU (Air Material Command)
South Plains AAF TX (Storage)
To San Antonio Air Material Area
Kelly AFB TX (Storage)
June 11th 1948
Redesignated as T-6D
To North American Aviation
Dropped from inventory by conversion to T-6G.
Remanufactured by North American Aviation in Fresno California plant as a T-6G model, S/N 52-8231,MSN 197-035. Accepted on march 20th 1953 and delivered to the USAF on march 27th 1953.
March 27th 1953
To 188th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron New Mexico Air National Guard
Kirtland AFB, NM. (3 T-6 were in that unit).
Dropped from inventory by transfert to mutual defense assistance plan to the French Air Force.
For the time being not much is known about her history except the two plates riveted on the fuselage. The first indicates the date of assembly, january 4th 1957 and the second plate indicates an inspection (IRAN), april 19th 1957, before entry into service with S/N 28231.
The Texan were mainly used by the french for training and was also used in a light attack or counter insurgency role during the Algerian War by the EALA, escadrilles d'aviation légère d'appui, armed with machine guns, bombs and rockets. As its peak, 38 EALAs units were active. The largest unit was the Groupe d'Aviation Légère d'Appui 72.
The plane was phase out and put in storage in july 1965.
Years later, the plane was recovered from Etampes Airfield (LFOX) in a very bad condition and stored at La Féreté-Alais Airfield (LFFQ).
Finally, she was completely restored at Bex Airfield (LSGB), Switzerland and made her first flight in spring 2000 as HB-RCN.
She is now based in Lausanne Airfield (LSGL) since 2008.